Five donations completed

28 10 2016

It feels good to complete projects.  “Done” is satisfying.  And it’s easier when the projects are these small quilts for donation to EBHQ’s Quilt Project.

Since these were simple quilts that I put together on a recent trip, I quilted them myself.  And four of the five were made from my favorite 2.5″ cut squares.  Very fun.

Here’s the gallery:

Squares in zigzag pattern

266full

Zigzag detail

266-detail

__________________________________

Random squares, with little animals popping up every now and then:

267full

Detail

267detail

________________________

Random squares with cute birds popping up:

268full

Detail

268detail

__________________________

All sorts of leftover squares that seemed to go with this wild border:

269full

___________________

And leftover solid rectangles that play with my dotty background:

270full

All were photographed on the wall in my studio;  no professional photographer here, but I wanted to get a shot of each before I bring them in for distribution.

AND

a sneak peek at the Triangles, in progress.

triangleinprogress

 

 

 

Advertisements




Halloween Creatures–a selvage quilt

14 10 2016

Just for the upcoming holiday, a Halloween quilt.

This is another top that was left unquilted for the longest time.  And it got finished in the flurry of getting-things-done last spring.

260_HalloweenCreaturesmed

I have always loved these scary creatures, featured on this older Alexander Henry fabric.  The images are weird, yet kinda cute as well as nicely detailed.  Have always liked AH fabrics in general.

The quilt was made using the selvages of a wide variety of fabrics, not merely Halloween prints.  Here is a close detail of those selvages.  Click on the image to enlarge; some of these dotty edges are charming.

image

I made this top about 10 years ago, when my daughter bought Karen Griska’s book Quilts from the Selvage Edge and made a quilt using Karen’s techniques .  Pinterest has many examples of these quilts online.

This border fabric was a fabulous find, since it combined all the Halloween colors already used Inc the quilt—so fun.

260_HalloweenCreaturesDetail2med_3

And, just for more fun, here are a couple more of these CQP quilts from kits.

image

image





Triangles-in-progress

7 10 2016

I have finished 133 of these puppies, and I think that may be enough. They look kinda cool on the floor, so I am really jazzed about how they might look on my design wall.

image

And here is the fun one:

image

 

 

BEFORE

 

 

 

image

AFTER

I will have to make a pile of half-triangles for the sides of the quilt and a few more blocks to see how I can get color into this piece.

Here is a sample, just because I happened to have this black-with-red fabric nearby. Don’t know if this will be enough color to compete with all this black and white.

 

image

 

And, now that I have finished all of these blocks, I am amazed to realize that I never once considered using the same fabric for all three sides of each of these triangles.  Oh, well . . .

Would have looked like this:

image

 

Maybe that is how the color can be used.  Hmmmmmm . . . .

And here’s another one of the CQP kits, just for fun:

image