May I say I loved working on this quilt and that I’m really pleased with how it turned out.
I named it “Awake At Midnight” for two reasons:
—when I am awake at midnight and in my studio, I just want to sew, not design, cut, hand-sew, do quilt math, etc. I talked about this in a previous blog post here, the same post in which I showcased the half-square triangles I was mass-producing. Those triangles turned into this quilt.
—when I am awake at midnight, my brain sometimes feels as frenzied as these patterns look to me.
Awake At Midnight, 2016
66″ x 74″
Two important things happened during the making of this quilt:
—First, I found this navy fabric printed with winding vines of flowers and leaves. Until I found it, I had no idea how I was going to balance all the wild energy of the patchwork. The “weight” of this print helped to balance everything.
Awake At Midnight, Detail A
—Secondly, I realized that adding rust (the complement of the navy) inner and outer borders of sawteeth gave the quilt some pop.
Awake At Midnight, Detail B
The center of this quilt was originally going to be just like the outer border, Broken Dishes. While on the design wall, this did not look so interesting, so I inserted the 16-patches between the dishes. This makes ones eyes fly all over the place trying to figure out the pattern, which is quite simple but appears complicated.
I love it when putting two simple blocks together makes something exciting.
I also love it when a quilt looks wonderful and intriguing from a distance AND gives the viewer a little bonus when he or she comes in for a closer look.
Rebecca Rohrkaste did the wonderful fan quilting. I knew it had to be quilted this way, and she made it happen much sooner than I would have been able to.