Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: 2" squares, Children's Quilt Project, color in quilts, East Bay Heritage Quilters, easy quilt, quilts for beginners
Categories : 2" Squares, Observations and insights
And now for something completely different—–
I duecided to take a break from paper-piecing isosceles triangles when I had finished 92. So I sewed together two tops for making into quilts for our Children’s Quilt Project wing of EBHQ’s Community Quilts efforts.
I made these tops from kits I made for the Project using my all-time favorites—the leftover 2″ squares.
Kits kinda come together on their own. Scraps cut into 2.5″ squares begin to combine into interesting groups or color combinations, and these groups find fun borders and binding. I love this process.
Sometimes, when I create a kit, I can’t let go of it and HAVE to make it myself. Then, I usually finish the whole quilt. And it does still feel good to know that some child/family will receive this quilt. I know they really appreciate these cuddly comfort quilts that our guild donates to a wide variety of deserving non-profits.
The latest two—
Still have three more kits that I could sew now, but I think it’s time to get those last 40 triangles sewn (if they actually ARE the last triangles; I almost never know).
Comments : 3 Comments »
Tags: foundation piecing, paper piecing
Categories : Quilts and commentary
Having finished a lot of previous projects, I am finally starting a new one, one I have been thinking about for a while.
I cut a ton of 2″ strips from black and white fabrics I had collected, probable cutting way too much, nothing new for me. And next I cut another ton of center triangles. Loving the triangle shape these days.
Then I made about 140 of these triangle patterns using freezer paper. These are the foundations on which the strips are sewn.
And here is the result of my sewing so far, not even halfway finished, but lots of fun along the way. I’m still thinking about getting some color into all this neutral, but that will happen when I get all the blocks on the design wall. Maybe some magic will happen.
And here below are all the scraps from trimming the extras off the edges of the foundations. I started throwing them into this nice bowl, and all of a sudden they were an arty project all on their own. Gonna keep doing this and see how full it gets.