I just finished five quilts in time to get them photographed, quite a flurry of activity.
It was fun finally to finish this Flying Geese quilt, and I say “finally” even though I have no idea when I even started it.
When a class project more than 15 years ago did not turn out as I would have liked, I used all the fabrics I had gathered for the class and all the left over cut pieces and started sewing these geese on freezer paper, three geese to a block. I worked on these randomly, and then there was a huge pile of them, which became this quilt top.
After that, the top sat unquilted for the longest time. The 2016 New Year’s resolutions to finish my projects really worked in this case, and here is the quilt that grew from that abandoned project.
Purple Geese, 2016
59″ x 63″
The quilting is very simple. I wanted the plaids to do all the heavy lifting. I think they do a great job.
Purple Geese Detail
And I gratefully acknowledge Gerry Roy and Roberta Horton for helping to nurture a love of plaids early on in my quilting life. These fun fabrics are a a joy to work with, and I try to include them in everything I do.
If I had known I would love this one as much as I do, I’d like to think I might have finished it sooner. Oh, well . . .
there’s one more, finished in 2009. It’s probably the remains of the class project that did not please me and did not warrant finishing as a full-sized quilt. Done. (Must have had strong New Year’s resolutions in 2009, too).
All Plaids, 2009
42″ x 44″