While looking through my old photo files for pictures of the Christmas stockings I had previously made, I came across a picture of a quilt that I had forgotten about. The picture is one taken for the EBHQ historian at the Voices in Cloth 2008 quilt show. I did not keep this quilt long enough for it to be professionally photographed. It was donated to a women’s clinic in Africa, when EBHQ still had a means of getting these items there.
I also remember that this quilt was problematic in many ways. It started in an EBHQ workshop on color in quilts taught by Christine E. Barnes. She uses “mock blocks” to teach color and other artistic concepts to quilters. (see her book Color: The Quilter’s Guide for all the details) Below is the mock block I made in class, and I loved it.
Time to make a full quilt. I changed the center square to a red-purple (magenta), creating a triad color scheme.
Finding the turquoise, yellow-orange, and magenta fabrics for the quilt was difficult, especially when I needed them in different values. There was not much dark turquoise in the local fabric stores.
Then, finding an appropriate fabric for sashing between the blocks was even harder, since I had boxed myself into this specific color scheme. I love the puzzle aspect of this art form, but this one was not so much fun. The sashing fabric turned out to be in my own stash; it was a fabric manufactured by the children’s clothing company Mousefeathers in Berkeley, and a wild print it was.
Anyway, after struggling with finding fabrics, putting them together, working out the math, and developing a quilting pattern, I was happy to see this one finished, ready for display at the quilt show, and I loved it. But NO ONE else did. Too bright, unusual colors, whatever. So off it went to keep someone continents away safely bundled.
Just for fun with the upcoming holiday—-some more postcards. I loved making these from some old Alexander Henry fabrics I found heavily discounted after Halloween one year. Some of these images were incomplete, but they still worked in this small format. I even had to give the torn Frankie a few extra sutures on his neck; seemed to do the trick.