Mistakes ? ? ?
Some of the tessellated quilts in the previous post were made with 60° diamonds. And I have another, currently stalled, EPP project-in-progress using these diamonds. It has lost its momentum, and may be permanently abandoned. Who knows?? This happens sometimes, and I’m trying not to feel as though I must finish all the projects I start: too heavy a burden. Feels good to work on the ones that sing to me. These little guys are silent right now, and have been so for more than a year.
I love all the vintage fabrics here, and I think I got stuck when I decided I should have put sashing of some kind between the diamond units, but it is much more likely that I just ran out of gas and started something else.
A blog subscriber recently suggested that I include in this blog those items I considered “mistakes”, since we all make them and few of us celebrate them as part of our process. Perhaps this one is a mistake, but it may be too early to tell. Anyway, here it is.
Definitely not a mistake
Also made from vintage fabrics from my collection, and also using the EPP method, this time with hexagons instead of diamonds, this quilt is a current favorite. I just kept sewing these one-patches together until it got to this size, and then threw on the borders. The border in a button pattern was the only dark print that I had enough of to be able to frame this large piece.
Through this blogging process I am beginning to see the body of my work take shape. Previously it has been hard to wrap my visual brain around 215 quilts, so writing about them and showing the photos helps me do that. As it stands now, I don’t see a consistent style, and wonder if that is necessary. One of these days I may pick a style and stay with it. Until then, I’ll just keep dancing back and forth, in and around, all sorts of styles, eras, motifs, techniques, etc.—doing what I’m doing.